Shop online safely
There’s no denying the popularity of online shopping. It doesn’t mean you have to side with big box stores because many local independent businesses will also have an online offering. While purchasing items online for the holidays, remember the following to protect your private information and money.
- Shop with reputable retailers you know and trust.
- If it’s too good to be true, it usually is! Don’t be fooled by a great deal. Make sure you know what you are purchasing and that it’s the ‘real thing.’
- Investigate new products, services, and businesses that spark your interest on social media or online ads. Beware, this could be a scam.
- Do not browse or purchase products using public WI-FI.
- Always use a virtual private network (VPN) to shop online safely.
- Use strong passwords that include a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols, and avoid repeating passwords on different sites.
- Use secure sites. Look for a lock icon in the browser bar, and the URL should start with HTTPS.
- Protect your personal information. Do not give your social security number, for example.
- Take an active role in combating fraudulent activity. When you suspect something suspicious, report it. Always check your monthly bank statement for fraudulent activity.
- Hold on to your email receipt in case your package goes missing in the mail, the contents are damaged, or your order is wrong. You’ll need proof of purchase.
- Track your mail. The USPS offers daily tracking of mail to your office or home. Once your parcel has arrived, it should be removed from your doorstep and taken inside to avoid theft.
Visit your local branch if you have questions about online banking, your monthly statement, or credit card and debit card. We have branches in New Berlin, Springfield, Modesto, and Palmyra.